A Back Pain doctor or specialist deals with treatments for back pain.
Back pain specialists are able to offer a variety of treatment options and not only a single modality.
The following specialists deal with back pain.
Where is the Back Pain Located?
The pain can adopt different locations. For instance, it can extend from the cervical area of the spine (neck), dorsal region (upper back), lumbar region (lower back) and the sacral region (lower part of the spine).
In addition to pain, people may experience weakness, numbness or tingling.
What is the Cause of the Back Pain?
Various structures in the spine can cause back pain when the following occurs:
- Irritation of the roots of the nerves that go to the legs and arms.
- Irritation of the smaller nerves that are placed in the spine.
- Distention of the pair of large muscles of the back (erector spinae).
- The bones, ligaments or joints are injured.
- The intervertebral space itself is a source of pain.
Can Back Pain be Treated?
There are many treatments available for back pain.
- It rarely requires surgery.
- Physical therapy which allows improving your core muscles around the lower back and also can enhance pain.
- Pain killers such as anti-inflammatory medications and muscle relaxants.
Spinal Injections for Back Pain
- Caudal Epidural, nerve root injections, facet joint injections are methods of bringing immediate relief. They may not get rid of all your pain but in over 90% cases will reduce it significantly.
- They should always be tried before surgery as long as there is no progressive nerve damage.
When is Surgical Treatment Necessary for Back Pain Relief?
Of all patients with this condition, only a minority are candidates for surgical treatment.
- The most relevant indications are:
There is a compression of the nerve roots or the spinal cord, sufficiently important to leave sequels in case it is not resolved quickly, this is the case of the intervention by Cauda Equina Syndrome.
- There is a compression of the nerve roots that, although it will not necessarily leave sequels, causes symptoms and lasts more than 6 weeks without improving, despite the non-surgical treatments.
- The characteristics of the clinical manifestations and the result of the physical examination show that the compression is undoubtedly due to the detected structural anomaly.
We have multi-disciplinary specialists, orthopaedic and neurosurgeon, to diagnose and treat your back pain.